Sunday, January 3, 2010

Running the Boney Mountain Half Marathon just for the heck of it.

I ran the XTERRA Boney Mountain Half Marathon because
- I won't register for the race (TNT training every sat) but I want to know if I can make the cut off (finish in 3 1/2 hr)
- Do a write up for Alison and XXX.
- get back to my hiking shape.

Here is the stats
Finish in 3:48:07
13.4 mi on my GPS
3hr 37 moving time
11 min and 44 sec stopping time
Total Ascent 2854 ft
Took 66 oz of drink... only 2-3 oz left!
Mapping from my garmin running watch Please note that the evaluation chart is not accurate.


I start off with 66 oz of drink. Initially I was going drop off some water at mile 6 but the gate was locked, so I figure I just have to deal with 66 oz.

This is the breakdown for me (if I were to do it next time)
0 - 0.7 mi: uneventful
0.7 - 1.73 mi: downhill, keep at comfortable pace
1.73 - 3: rolling hill. take advantage of the flat and gain speed
3-4: uphill. try to run on flat
4-4.85: downhill. I use it to gain some speed. make sure you are not putting too much stress on your legs.
4.85 - 6: downhill. less steep. you can gain a lot of speed if you want.
6 - 6.6: rollling. get speed. If you are too beat up from the previous section you wouldn't be able to run fast (well for me)
6.6 - 8.7: uphill. It's like hiking. Try to run the flat. If you are running as fast as you hike. Hike!!!
8.7 - 9.11: downhill. you can use it to gain speed. Remember that you will hike up again. save some leg.
9.11 to 10: uphill. It level a bit toward the end. run the flat.
10 - 11.55: First part is fast descent... then it level out for a bit (since I was going too fast on the downhill I can't get myself to run fast on the flat)
11.55 - 11.9: last uphill. I walk most of them
11.9 til the end. The last downhill section is uneven. Please pay attention.

All pictures

The bottom of my left foot started to bothering me around 7 so I slow down a bit. I took a 7 min break because I need to take off my pack and find stuff to eat. My right knee started to bothering me maybe at mile 8.5 but it never develop into any kind of problem. My left arm also started to cramp starting I would say mile 10.

I was kind of beat for the last 1.5 mi.

Overall I had a good day. Even though I did not make the 3 1/2 hr cut off. I think I did pretty good (in my standard). I didn't even train for this race! The course is not difficult for me because this is the kind of terrain that I hike on. Running it definitely give you another perspective... it's so much harder. The downhill put a lot of stress on your legs, but I was ok because I took enough abuse on hikes where I don't really feel pounding. I was tired from 'running' toward the end (but I can still walk/hike LOL). There are probably a lot more places I can run if I were to do this again.

The biggest tip I have is to have a better average time (hike faster on the uphill, run little section, maybe go a bit faster on the downhill). I think it was 3:00 when I got to mile 10. I started running downhill but I can't get myself to go under 10 minute pace because my legs are beat up from previous uphill/downhill (muscle fatigue).

Have fun Alison and XXX!

No comments: