Thursday, May 21, 2009

An Annoyed Goldfish That Hate Swimming

Well you know I hate swimming. I can swim now... not fast... but I can swim... and I can swim for a long time. But I still don't like swimming. So what's in store today? 2.5km timed swim. So how long is 2.5km? Think of the gym pool in 24 hr fitness. The pool is 25 yrd long and I need to swim 110 of those. Since I don't want to count to 110, so I count laps... 55.

As always, I come up with a million excuses not to swim. It's too late, I am hungry, how am I going to count 55 laps, what if there are a lot of people in the pool, what if the earthquake crack the pool, what if the swine flu is in the pool... just excuses after excuses.

Then I pull out the cancer card. I told myself... dude you are not going to swim and not chemo... Just go! So I shut up and keep driving.

I got to the 24 hr fitness, changed, and walked out to the pool. Wow no lane opened (there are 2 lanes in the 24 hr fitness)... people were just doing their own thing and they are not lap swimming... so what am I going to do? Then a woman was nice enough to split a lane with me. She told me she can just share the lane with her husband. Great... the swim is on!

I started my watch and start my swim. A few laps later two kids were playing in the pool. Luckily they dodge me when I swim by. No problem there. Then there is a girl with fins swimming in the next lane. I push hard and I was able to swim faster than her. That was a good feeling. Then this girl jump into the pool and start swimming in my lane. By then the woman and the husband left the pool... so there is me, this girl, and the two kids on my lanes. Since the two kids are in the way, the girl and I needed to do some lane sharing when we pass the kids. Next thing I know I ran into her... and guess what... I continue to swim... what an ass... I know I know... next time I actually stop and say sorry.

I did plan to stop for a second to say sorry if she is at the end of the lane... but that never happened and she left the pool. Great, now I am offically the green cap asshole in the pool. By now I swam 1km and I feel pretty good. As I was auto swimming (sorry Cheesewheel I copy your term) Then I started to feel bad about the goldfish. Check this... I am freaking bored... 55 laps in a pool... but think about the goldfish... they are in a fish tank... 24/7 doing laps. I told myself not to get goldfish or any kind of pet. Yes, I have random thoughts when I swim. Sorry, I don't think about programming.

La La La... I continue to swim... then this one teen jumped into the pool and start swimming. We need to navigate around the two kids and we actually did ok.

At lap 40 something this dude came in and start swimming. All these time I just sort of split a lane and just swim on the left side. So I continue to do my thing and this guy were in my split. I was able to dodge him and continue to swim. Then I realized he is doing lap swim. Fine, I am all up for lap swim, but I think he should of give me a head up. Then the next thing I know this white cap girl also jump in and join the fun. So now we have 3 people doing lap swim in one lane. By then the kids actually moved over to the other lane. I am guessing because the lap swimming looks a bit hardcore and it actually scare them away.

Not wanting to have them pass me I actually swim faster... which is a good thing. At one point I cramp so the girl need to slow down so I limp my way to the side. With only a few more laps to go, I suck it up and finish all 55 laps. 1 hr 13 min 43 seconds. This is consistent with my speed... my slow speed. Well at least I did it. 2.5km... a new record in my book.

1 comment:

Janey Jane said...

I've been thinking about getting the waterproof ipod to use in the pool when I swim, haha ... goldfish, that's funny.