Monday, July 13, 2009

06/28/09: 17 mi run under the heat

I like to sleep in on Sunday, so I decided to sleep in and run the 17 mile by myself. I got up, ate breakfast, and head out for the run. I didn't really care about starting late because I need to run under the heat, so naturally the hotter the better.

Map Profile

I started at the Rosebowl and ran down to South Pasadena. I dump water on my body everytime I see a water fountain, this went on for a while and I went back to my car to resupply. That was mile 8 something. 9 more miles to go. It was hot and I almost went out of water on the south side. I know I am in for a treat.

So I went up to JPL. 2 miles later I ran out of water. Usually a bottle of water can last 4-5-6 miles. This time... 2 miles. I actually need to take a detour to Oak Grove Park to get water (if you look at the reply that was at mile 10.5... where I made a left).

My spirit was down because I ran out of water without 2 miles. How am I going to finish the run? I can go back to the Rosebowl where I know I have more water or I can push on to my turn around point. I decided to continue because I know I will probably quit if I get back to my car... Bad choice. I ran out of water before I hit the turn around point. I know I am safe because I can get to the turn around point safely but I was at a new low. I was walking, tired, and wonder if I need to hit Oak Grove Park again because I don't have enough water to go back from to the Rosebowl with one bottle of water.

Finally, I got to the turn around point at the Arroyo. I filled my water bottle and I was done mentally. Then... I realized I have one thing that can save my life and they are call Ziploc bags.

I usually carry small Ziploc for sport mix and I put them in a gallon Ziploc. So I used them to call water. I drink as much as I can, then I filled up my bottle, 1 small Ziploc and 1 gallon bag. I put the small Ziploc inside my shirt so I don't have to hold it. And that also acts as a radiator for me to get rid of my overheated body. And for the big one, I filled it up 2/3 of the wall, get all the air out, and folded the opening several times so that it's harder to break. You can see a picture below.

After this ziploc trick, I came back to life. It still took me a while but I finish the run without any further issues! Go Team!


No comments: