Thursday, April 16, 2009

How Fast is Fast?

I swam 2100 yards (1.2 miles) today in around 55 minutes. I swam at my all day pace so I wasn't tired when I finish. I guess I could of swim a little faster but I want to keep it realistic because this is the pace that I am planning to swim for my Half Ironman. Is this a fast time? Well that's relative. From not knowing how to swim in Nov to swimming 1.2 miles now. That's huge for a lot of people. However, when I compare that time with my teammates, I am concern... heck I am very concern.

During the swim my teammates passed me several times. I wasn't swimming like crazy (because I need to make sure I can finish the whole thing), but I wasn't swimming slow (at least to my standard). I am usually very good about people going faster than me. If you can go faster than me, good for you! Yet every time they pass by me I can't help but think... why am I so slow? Everyone is like a fish... and I am like a... shrimp?

The coach told me to pick it up several times. I was like... I am already doing what I can (without killing myself). Afterward Coach Paul told me I got lazy so he wanted me to get back in to it. I asked him... am I too slow? Is there stuff you want me to work on? He said I am fine.

Well looking back at my swim, I know I can go a little faster. BUT, you definitely don't want to go too fast. It's a very thin line. However, I do think that I save too much energy (being a hiker... you have to). For the next few weeks I will push myself harder and see what happen. In fact I'll swim as fast as I can this Sunday and see what happen.

Too much is at stake right ow. I must complete the Wildflower Half Ironman. I will definitely cry if they told me I passed the cutoff time!

1 comment:

Janey Jane said...

You've come so far Louis, good for you!