Thursday, April 23, 2009

Wildflower Half Ironman is the most important race of my life

Wildflower Ironman is May 2 and I am a bit nervous. ok ok... I lie, I am very nervous. I know I can swim 1.2 mile, bike 56 mile, and run a half marathon after. I have been training since Nov and I know I am ready. But since I never 'complete' a half ironman before, there is definitely doubt. But this is not why I am writing a blog 1:00am in the morning.

I am writing to talk about my friend Tyler. He is both a kid and a cancer survivor. As some of you know, I can't swim. The reason why I joined the Ironteam is to honor Tyler. You see, Tyler got very sick last Sept and I was expected to hear some very bad news. He ended up being ok (well I don't know if you can call chemo ok). It was at that time that I made a promise to myself. If Tyler can go thru chemo, I can learn how to swim and do a triathlon (or at least die drying... I meant drowning).

So I started training 6 days a week and I am constantly improving. I go from not knowing how to swim to swimming over 2 km. I go from biking flat course to hilly terrain (heck with 6800ft of gain too!) And of course, I improved my running as well.

Things are going great. I am nervous and excited about the race.

Then I got this two days ago

"Spring 09 Support Staff recieved this today from our Honored Teammate Captain Dorian regarding her nephew Tyler:

Hey team,

We just got some very bad news. It looks like Tyler has relapsed again. He had some suspicious cells in spinal fluid that indicate cancer. Luckily his other counts are good. His doctors are still trying to figure out the best treatment plan for him. For anyone who has seen him recently he looks really wonderful and has been in great spirits. Please hold him in all your healing thoughts.

Dorian"

I was like... not again!

I contacted Dorian and Holly (Tyler's mom) to let them know that I am going to be there for them. I let them know that why I am doing this.

"Ironteam training is nothing like the marathon training. We usually train 6 days a week and I just had my 4hr bike + 2hr run on Sat. I even had a little break down few weeks back because mentally... I was beat up.

However, this is what I want to experience... my life taken away. All these hopsital visit, traveling, caring for Tyler... now I can experience a little. You are all my inspiration and heroes..."

Sound corny? Maybe... but it's from my heart.

Now what? I am definitely going to finish the race (unless I pass out!) This is my healing power to Tyler... with every stoke, every pedal, and every step.

Louis

Please support me by making a small donation

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Hi Louis, best of luck to you at Wildflower. I won't be there but many of my SF Bay Area IronTeam mates will be there.

Save the postcard and give it to me at the TNT pasta dinner at Vineman. It'll be nice to meet you in person so we can keep a look out for each other on the Vinman course. :)