Tuesday, June 23, 2009

6-Year Old Tyler is on the news: A reminder of why I joined the Ironteam

Tyler was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma in 2007 at the age of 4. Tyler's mom Holly just sent me a news article about Tyler. Please take a moment to read it before reading my comments below.

http://www.the-signal.com/news/article/14666/

WOW... so many thoughts are running in my mind right now. I am going to do my best to pick the article apart to tell you what I am thinking.

First of all, Tyler is 6.... Not 5, Not 7... '6'! I always get this confused because I would read an 'outdated' article about Tyler and it will say... Tyler is 4... 5... 25...etc. I am one of those people that keep asking people's kids age (eg. Hey Steph, how old are your kids again?... when I asked her few weeks back). OK... In 2009, Tyler is 6. I better write this down somewhere... got it!

The second thing that's kind of crazy to me is how much I know about Tyler (which I am not really proud of... because in a perfect world where there is no cancer... I wouldn't even know Tyler... I'll be sad not knowing this crazy kid but I rather have it like this... Cordova... huh... you mean Godiva??).

As I was reading this article... 'Upon further examination, it was revealed that Cordova had a large tumor in his chest cavity, which needed immediate treatment...' I was like of course... because according to Dorian, Tyler's aunt, Tyler was in a football game when this happened... he couldn't breath and his face turned blue!!! They rushed him to the hospital where doctors found a tumor in his chest cavity. This version is much more dramatic *_*

Then two paragraphs down... the reporter said 'But in September 2008, Cordova relapsed...' I was like I REMEMBERED THIS!!! In fact it was around 9/11. One day I got an email from Dorian telling me to pray for Tyler... A simple doctor visit (dizzy) turned into a CAT scan. First symptoms of inner ear infection, then possibly brain or spinal cord tumor, then the CAT scan reveal swelling in Tyler's brain... a indicative of viral spinal meningitis or a brain tumor. Next thing I know Tyler may need a bone marrow transplant, then the next day doctors decided that his cancer has relapsed... and this is the SHORT VERSION! I, along with the Cordova family and others that care so much about Tyler were in the roller roaster from Hells during those few weeks. I never felt so useless in my life because there is nothing I can do to help Tyler directly. However it is then that I decided to join the Ironteam. If the Gordova family can go thru all these chemo stuff, I can tri-drowning (as I didn't know how to swim).

There are a few things here and there but I don't want to bored you with detail.

One thing in this article that touches me the most is how Tyler's response to his cancer treatment. "I don't focus on the treatment, I focus on what I like to do and that makes me feel better." Can you believe this come from a 6 years old?

People just like to complain and not focus on finding a solution nowadays... With all these economy/family issues... and of course... my complains about swimming(in case youd on't know, I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)... I think we all can benefit from Tyler's mindset. For me, I need to not focus on the actual swimming... I just need to picture myself coming out of the 3km swim and eat a hamburger with onions, fries, and a milkshake. "Celebrate What We Accomplished Each Day"... this is what Coach Paul, the Ironteam Coach, told us.

If you like to help finding a cure for cancer, you can make a tax deductible donation to the cause. Every Single Dollars Counts!

http://pages.teamintraining.org/los/VineFIrn09/lkwan

Louis

No comments: