Friday, March 20, 2009

Tokyo March 20 (Fri): Anime Expo + Eel Don + Dinner at my friend

So I went to the fish market before the Anime Expo. Found out the fish market is closed today because of a public holiday. Oh well I still got my sushi for breakfast.


After several train transfer I got to the Tokyo Big Sight again for the Anime Expo. The anime expo starts at 10 am. I was there at around 9 and there are already thousands of people ahead of me. No kidding... check out the picture before (there are probably 3X as many).


So after 1 1/2 hour of standing I finally got in. I know I will pay for this later because you are supposed to be off your feet days before a marathon.



Although this is not a 'toy' expo but there are showcase of toys. Some you can actually buy. I resisted. I guess it's good that I picked up hiking and triathlon as my hobbie because I can't really afford to buy toys like I used to... sad. I also saw display of anime that I used to watch when I was a kid. It brings back memories. I am also touched by the scene. Here I am... in the Tokyo Anime Expo. I always wanted to go to one of these expos in Japan and I am finally in one of them.


Nothing can complete an Anime Expo without show girls. There are anime characters everywhere but the show girls are one that got the most attention. There are people with big huge camea taking pictures of these girls.


After Anime Expo I took a train (well several) to hit up this Eel Don place that my friend talked about. It was pricy ($40) and it was good. I can't tell if is super good because I am not an Eel person. Sorry Kevin!


After the Eel Don I took an hour train ride to my friend Masa's house for dinner. I know I know... two dinners a night. He picked me up at the train station and drove us back to his house. And when I said a house... it's a house! Not one of those tiny apartments. It's 3 stories high! I was like wow I thought Japanese lives in small places.

There are only 3 of us but his wife made a crazy amount of food. I know I am gulity of eating the Eel Don before I come... but hey... We cannot possibly finish all these food. How you eat this is you take a piece of seaweed, put rice and fish on top of it, wrap it and eat it. Just like Korean BBQ all you can eat with the rice paper!!! I am going to try this at home one day.


We talked for a while and I had a lot of fun. I want to spend more time there but I started to fall asleep. I said good bye and they both took me back to the train station. I felt asleep at the train and barely made it back to the hotel... hee hee... 1 more day before the Tokyo Marathon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha it's all good. i think you'll like the eel tempura at otafuku though.