Sunday, January 25, 2009

Carlsbad Half Marathon: The Hunger For Speed

My half marathons time usually ranges from 2:20 all the way to over 3 hours (diarrhea and running don't mix!!!). But I would say my average time is somewhere between 2:20 to 2:30.

Today felt like any other day. My time from last year is 2:25:50 and I want to beat it. I am sure I can go faster than 2:25:50 because last year I walked with my teammates for a mile and I took photos along the way.

I did my warm up and got into my corral. Someone padded my back. It's Jeff and Rosemary. I was so happy to see them. I learned that Rosemary hurt herself so they are just going to chill for today. I didn't plan to go super fast myself because I biked for 3 hours yesterday so I think I will get tire half way thru.

I say good bye to them and started running. I was doing good averaging under 10 minutes a mile. After 2.4 miles of running I need to pee. I found a porta potty with 1 person waiting so I stop for the break even though I can hold it for much longer (Running Rule #1: If you see an open porta potty... go!!! Short line is better than long one!!!).

I continued and saw Coach Vickie. I saw hi to her and continue. 6 miles passed and I ran out of water. I stopped to refuel water and mix it with Endurance and Carbo Pro (I had them in a ziplock). While I was doing my mixing thing my ironteam Alison passed me and said hi. I continue running and I eventually caught up to her after 1 mile. By now I am still maintaining a 9:50 something minute pace. I figured if I keep this pace I can finish in under 2:10:00. I decided not to take pictures of Alison and continue.

I continued running and this asian guy came up from behind. I noticed he has a Tokyo Marathon 2008 running belt and I wanted to ask him 'Are you from japan?' I wanted to tell him I am going to run the Tokyo Marathon in March. But he was very focus on running so I did not want to distrub him. By now I am a bit tired. My pace slow down a little. Should I just chill and slow down to avoid injury? Should I slow down so that I can recover faster for my triathlon training? No!!! I am having a very good day and I think I have a very good chance to finish under 2 hours and 10 mintues. So I went for it. I maintained my pace to be under 10 minutes per mile and I push on.

After mile 12 I ran even faster. I was passing a lot of people. I feel good and I know I can make it under 2:10. At the last 0.1 or 0.2 mile, I sprinted! I was going very fast (in my standard!!!), I was running in a good form, I crossed the finish line, looked at my watch, and I finished in 2:09:23. I was tired but happy to have a new personal record. New PR is good!

Having the after run breakfast with marathon coach and teammates. I don't remember the food, but the server is cutteeeee!!!

No comments: