Friday, January 9, 2009

Sometime You Just Have to Count

Sometime I don't count. Say if I order a 10 pieces Fried Chicken from Honey Kettle, I'll just take it and go. Swimming, however, is another story. I don't want to swim more or less, so I count... as if my life is on the line... wait... my life is on the line... nevermind!

Anyway, I needed to go swim the beginner set and it goes something like this (there is an advance set but let's not go there).
Beginner Lanes - distance in yard
- 100 swim
- 100 kick
- 100 pull
- 100 swim
- 4 x 25 build (get faster!)
- 10 x 100 (alternate pull/swim) off 30 seconds rest
- 300 swim

P.S. For pull, you put this floating thing between your leg so you can only swim with your arm.

I know I won't remember my name during the swim, let alone all these math... so I printed them out in big font and put it in a Ziploc bag so I can mentally check them off as we go.

So last night I went to the 24 hours fitness in Altadena, change, set my stuff at the end of the pool, and start my drill.

The first 100 swim was bad. I barely finished and I wondered if I jump back to square 1!!! I was gliding Tue. WHAT HAPPENED???

Then I do the kick. As always, I don't seem to move at all when I kick. It took forever but I did the 100 kick. I need to remind myself to ask someone why I am not moving!!!

The 100 pull is easy... as long as you get a hold of swimming with that float in between your leg. The first time I used it, the coach had to call me back and say... 'Louis we'll try this next time' =P

I then swam another 100. I gotten a lot better but I still struggle and I wasn't as good as Tue. well moving on.

The 4 X 25 build was tough. Basically the coach want you to swim fast. I wasn't going that fast at all (compare to other times). I think it is because I was losing my form. But again, I managed.

I took a few minutes break before I do the 10 X 100 (that's 1000 yards yo). By now I feel a little funny because I only breath on one side so I only turn on right to the right (kind of like zoolander... he can't turn left). I took my time to relax and focus on my next task.

I did the first 700 yards with 30 seconds breaks per 100. I started sluggish but it gotten better and better. I know that if I don't focus on my form I will get more drag... which slow me down and make me more tired! You definitely learned by memory... kind of like a dog. 'Hand' equal to food... 'Focus on my form and glide' equal to less tired.

Somewhere between one of the 700 yards swim I lost count for a second and I don't know if I did 650 or 600... I was like oh shit... did I swim it? Did I swim it? Well I put that aside and continue.

By the end of my 700 I was beat up. My arm was tired, and I feel a little dizzy (from turning my head only to my right for the last 1200 yards. On top of it I was running late to meet up with my marathon teammate for dinner. It seems like the perfect time to quit, call it a day, do the rest later. I am sure Tyler, Virginia, and Beverly don't mind. But no I don't want to quit. I swam the last 1200 yards. I gone that far and I don't want to stop. I am supposed to swim 1800 and I can't say I finish this workout unless I finished all 1800. Breaking the swim in half is not an option for me. This is the path that I don't want to take.

So I swam for another 100 and I needed to go pee. Did my body tell me to stop swimming again? No, my body just told me to pee, so I went to pee (in the restroom of course!!!) and jump back to the pool. I stay focus and did the last 200 and I was like... finally... 10 X 100.

By now the only thing that left is the 300 swim. That's swimming 6 laps in the LA fitness pool. The longest I swam nonstop is Tue and it was 200 (Remember the What the Heck in my other blog entry?). I took a few minutes break and stay focus. I don't think the Coach want us to take that long of a break. But I am a bit lightheaded and I wanted to vomit at the last part of 10X100... so I didn't want to like pass out... because I still need to do my 300. For those of you who are reading this and concern about my safety... don't be. If you know me long enough you know I don't do stupid things (Ha you joined the ironteam!). If I am really feeling sick to the point where I see star... I will stop. In fact I am so concerned about my safety, I make sure I stop even before I see the little star). I think the extra rest is justified.

I stayed focus and finished the 300. Remember earlier I wasn't sure if I did 50 yards less? I swam an extra 50 just to make sure I don't miss anything... so I ended up doing 350.

I completed the swim set! I finally feel like I am in the ironteam for once. After I shower at the gym I went to Wurstküche with my marathon teammates and I ate 3 hot dogs. I actually can't taste the hot dog because I took a few shots at the pool. It's nice to meet up with familiar faces.

No comments: