Saturday, January 10, 2009

Flat - Wind - Fall - Lost

I did this last week and it wasn't that fun because the path was wet =(

Anyway, I checked the weather last night and I know there is going to be gusted wind between 25-40mph. No problem. I am a hiker, I love gusted wind. It makes me feel alive.

So I started the ride with smoothly. Around around mile 6 my ride feel a bit bumpy so I asked my teammate to check my back tire and see if I have a flat. She said no so I continue. Since I can't explain why the ride feel bumpy I stopped and checked out both tires. IT WAS THE FRONT TIRE! I changed the tube and cut myself during the process. At soon as I got back to the bike I encounter the gust wind that I read about the night before. The wind was so strong I need to shift my bike to the climbing gear just to move forward.

I then entered the second hill and I feel much better than last week. I still struggle but it was some what easier. As soon as I go down hill I feel the gusted wind again. I slow down and put more weight on the bike because I don't want to get knock over going like 25mph. All the gusted wind I have been eating on hikes pays off. I go down without incident.

I caught up with 2 other teammates at around mile 14. I chatted with them for a bit and continue. I know I need to turn on this street called W Avenida de Los Arboles so when I see W Avenida de... I made a right turn.

So I rode on this street for a while but it doesn't seen like the road that I was on last week. I didn't pay much attention to it and continue. I figured I need to eat something so I take out my Luna Bar and start to unwrap it. As soon as I try I fell off my bike. I landed on my left side and it hurts a little. By this time I am not planning to eat and ride (hey... since I fell off the bike I may as well just eat at the spot). I did a quick check to make sure I am ok then I started eating. I waited for my teammates while eating but they never show up. I checked to make sure my bike is in working order before I get back on. I am glad I do a physical (on me and on my bike) every time I fall because my rear brake was 'open'. If I didn't check this and go downhill, I will have a lot of fun.

I continued and hit a deadend. My instruction said I should make a right on Westlake Blvd but I only see Erbes Rd. I was like what the heck. I should of take my iphone out to check out where I am (using google map) but I got lazy and decided to make a right turn. I rode downhill for 2 1/2 miles and I hit the Thousand Oaks Blvd. By then I decided that I am lost. I took my iphone out and look at the map. Sure enough I was lost. I found out that I turned on E Avenida de Las Flores instead of E Avenida de Los Arboles. I was angry at myself. There are signs that tell me I am not going the right way but I keep ignoring them. I based on what I want to believe instead of what I see and what I know. A classic example of getting lost. I feel ashamed about passing the Sierra Club Navigation Exam!!! I passed my exam using compass and reading topo map. Here I am in a city with street name and I got lost. I am speechless.

By then I can ride to the finish point or I can ride back uphill and go back to the correct route. I called one of the mentor to let her know that I got lost. I told her that I will get back to the correct route and I started running uphill again. I am paying for my mistake! I finished the rest of the ride with no incident and I finished in 2 hours and 55 minutes (last week I finished in 2 hours). The flat and detour definitely suck up a lot time!

After the ride I transition to run 20 minutes. No issues there =)

I learned a few things today and I definitely remember them!

blue arrows is where I am supposed to go

1 comment:

Katie said...

I don't see how bikers make it when it's windy -- talk about strength!!

Getting lost and falling sounds like a bad ride ... but I'm sure you saw something on your "detour" that you would have never seen otherwise. (I think that's a silver lining?)