Sunday, January 18, 2009

Have you ever wonder how long it will take you to swim 1 kilometer?

If you follow my posts you know I swim more than 1 kilometer during regular trainings. Just last Thur. I swam 1800 yards. So why am I blogging this 1 kilometer swim? You guessed it. This is the nonstop time trial. I did it 2 weeks ago. It took 40 minutes with tons of long breaks (I did not count the break time). This week, I am ready. 1km, nonstop, all of it!

So where do I swim on Sunday? The 24 hour fitness in Glendora. Why? It has 3 lanes and it's not crowded! Before I go on let me tell you my little math. The pool at this location is 25 yards, which is about 23 meter. So I am doing 22 laps to make it 1km.

Anyway, after I stretched a little, I jumped into the water and start swimming. The very first thing I noticed is that the pool isn't as clean. I see 'stuff' at the bottom of the pool. Anyway, moving on, I am over it.

The first 3 laps were a mess. My form were all jacked up. As I continue my form gotten better. Next thing I know I did 8 laps (400 yards). A moment later I was at laps 16 (800 yards). Surprisingly, one of the harder thing for me is to keep track of how many laps I swim.

So I am just swimming and swimming, doing my thing. I notice my legs are sinking and that my form can definitely improve. But I let it slide because I just want to finish the workout. So sometime later I finished all 22 laps! Wow!!! and I finished in 23 minutes and 41 seconds.

After I short break I attempted to swim some more just to work on my form. That effort lasted exactly one lap =P

I went home and download the data from my Suunto watch. I am pretty happy about my lap times because they seem to be consistent. You see those red dots... Each one of them represent 50 yards (except the first dot where it is only 25 yards).


When I pull the data to excel I found out my lap average to be around 1:29. I took longer in lap 14 and 15. I remembered being tired at one point and I took a tiny break. I guess that was it.


I am running and swimming 1km again this coming Sunday, I am interested to see if my time will improve a little bit =)

No comments: