Thursday, November 27, 2008

$9.99 per lbs

Thanksgiving food was good.

I should be happy and thankful but not so much. Here is why.

Being meat hungry (as always), I went to Hows market two days back and got myself 2 4.5-lbs USDA Prime grade Rib Roast. It costs 9.99 per lb so that's like 90 bucks right there. Whatever, it's the holiday... I just pay without thinking too much.

My brother also bought this huge turkey and other stuff. My brother was also doing the cooking so I knew our dinner will be good.

Then I sat on the computer to read more news about Mumbai and I feel bad about thanksgiving. There are crisis out there and I am eating my Rib Roast. Nothing to be thankful about!

Beside Mumbai, there are a few things that made me come up with that thought. Our economic is down so a lot of people are asking for help. Food Bank don't have enough turkeys so they give out chickens. Remember the rain on Wednesday? People were waiting in line for their free thanksgiving meal under the rain. While all these are going on you get people who lost EVERYTHING in the fires... the list go on and on.

So yes, I am not too thankful.

Then when I told one of my marathon teammate about this she said you should be thankful. You still have your job, you have a lot of friends. and you still have a place to live. Since I am not a 'holiday' person, I just can't justify myself spending 90 bucks on beef alone when others are struggling. Could of use that money for better use.

You can tell me, people die everyday of starvation Sunshine, you can give most of your money to save the world. You don't have to wait until thanksgiving!

I agree with you that I can do more to our society, but I am not there yet. I am not so giving to the point there I can give up everything I have. But, Sunshine Louis has been giving more and more. After Team In Training I give a lot more to charities. $50 here and $50 there. And just 2008 alone, I donated over $2000 to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

You may think. $2000 on cancer research? Are you freaking kidding me? You are not the only one. I have that thought too. For $2000, I can feed hundreds of family in Africa. Help people in China, South East Asia... heck you can even buy chicken, sheep, cow, Llama for families in Africa. True, true. The money can do so much more to save more people than the life we save from just blood-related cancers alone. But remember. I started giving more because of Team In Training (benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society). My money may save more lives if I were to donate it to feed hungry family in Africa. But I think the fact that I donate more now it's a start. And it's a good start. You can say, I don't have money or I don't have time. If you don't have money, you can volunteer. If you don't have time, donate money to the charity of your choice. It's that simple.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: