Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Eye Exam X 90rpm

Today I went to get my eye exam today for contact. I am getting contact because I don't want to buy prescription swim goggle and I want to get a pair of cycling sunglasses without prescription. Just like swimming, this is one of the thing that I am not looking forward to because I just don't like touching my eyeball. By getting contact, I don't have to spend on prescription lens and I don't have that turn around time to fill my prescription.

3 eye doctor appointments =P

Beside the eye appointments, I also rode my bike for an hour with an average pedal speed of 90 rpm. I have been riding my bike for several months so I thought this will be easy. I set my bike computer to give me an alert every time my cadence (the number of revolutions of the crank per minute) go below 90rpm.

So I started my ride and I seem to have no problem with that. But I did notice a big different of how I pedal. What I realized is that my cadence for just riding regularly is actually kind of low... maybe around 60-80 and I think the ride is kind of smooth. But when I am doing 90 rpm I notice my legs doesn't usually go that fast so I have to put more effort into pedaling. Because I am making a lot of motion the ride feel bumpy. I knew I have some work to do because my pedaling technique is not right. Instead of transferring all the energy to the pedal, I am wasting energy because I am kind of bounding on the bike (I was riding so fast the motion put my body upward away from the saddle... thus I get that bumpy feeling).

While all these are going on my damn computer keep beeping because my cadence is too low. I am glad that thing beep so that I know I need to pedal faster. Well, one hour passed and I was tired. My butt hurt and the area between my legs hurt because of chafing (I pedal very fast thus a lot of rubbing)

cadence graph for my bike training

No comments: