Thursday, November 13, 2008

After Thoughts

Am I going to quit? Heck no! Am I going to work hard to improve my swimming? You Bet!

I learned a lot from my first training. I haven't swim for maybe over 10 years and I think I need to start from the ground up.

I panic in the water. I need to take my time and relax.

I forgot how to breath so I need to focus on that. I actually practiced breathing on the way home and I think I did a pretty good job. Long exhale, short inhale, one after another.

I think part of the problem I have is that the way you breath when you swim is different than how I normally breath on hikes. When I hike my breathing is very short. Especially when you are high up in the mountain because there are less oxygen so naturally you breath more often. At sea level Oxygen Percent is around 20.9% But at 10,000ft (Mt Baldy, one of my favorite hike) we are talking about 14.2% And with peaks in the Sierra Nevada we are talking about stuff like 13000-14505 feet with 12.2%. Sometime I breath 2-3 times between steps... like the video below


Going up to Mt Shasta (14,179ft)... I was definitely breath fast

So for me, my instinct is to breath fast when I really need oxygen. But since I am in the water that cannot happen. As a result I panic, lose my form, and have to stand up to breath =P

Anyway, I am going to look for a pool to swim and I am also going to look at lessons outside of training just to get some extra coaching. Coach gave us some drills. But my main focus for now is to get comfortable with water and learn to breath. I am sure I can catch up with everything else.

No comments: