Thursday, November 13, 2008

I THOUGHT I KIND OF KNOW HOW TO SWIM... I WAS WRONG

So, today finally came. It's not one of those omg I am finally going on a vacation kind of day... it's omg I have a final today and I did not study kind of day. I was hoping that I get food poisoning so I don't have to go. Unfortunately I did not get food posioning so I head out from work at around 5:30pm.

It took me over 1 hour and 20 minutes to go from Pasadena to Culver City Municipal Plunge. Right then I know I have to endure 9 months of traffic! Not a bad thing because Tender Green and *cough* Honey's Kettle *cough* are 2 minutes away from the pool!!! Anyway there are 2 swim lessons. One at 7:00 pm and the second one at 7:45pm. I decided to attend the second one so that I can check out what people do. While a lot of teammates swim like a fish, there are also people who need improvement (eg me). I was amazed by how fast the fish people swim!!!

So after the first group are done, coach Paul summon us in a circle. He divided us in two groups so we can do different drills. The fish people start swimming laps. For the rest of us Paul want us to swim across to warm up before we start our actually drills.

So I started swimming freestyle (if you can call my freestyle) and I was like... hmm... not that bad. Then everything turn into hell when I need to breath. I find out I cannot breath. I try to exhale/inhale and I sink back to the water faster than I can breath. Since I try to get my head up high, my body sink a lot when my head get back to the water. Then I would need to paddle up to the surface, 'try' to breath, then sink. The cycle continues. By then it wasn't a matter do I look cool in the water, it's a matter of survive! Long story short I stand up a lot during the drill just to breath. I also took in some water and I splashed my teammates =P

I managed to stay with the drills for 45 minutes and I was very proud that I survived. After the training most of us went to a dive bar to drink, eat, and sing karaoke. Since I am not a drinker I left the bar and went to Tito's Taco with teammate Matt. The food is good!



1 comment:

Janey Jane said...

hahaha....don't worry Louis....the lessons at the aquatics center should help you!