Monday, November 24, 2008

Beginner Swimming Lesson at the Rosebowl Aquatics Center

I went for a jog before the lesson and I bumped into my Marathon Teammate Holly. I think she is currently training for a half marathon next year.

After the run I drove to the aquatic center. While waiting for my instructor to show up, Marathon Teammate Jane flagged me down to say hi as she is doing lap swimming at the aquatic center. Jane is an assistant coach for the SGV Marathon Team and she offers aqua jogging training for those of us who got injured during the season.

Several minutes later my swimming instructor show up and I started my lesson. There were 4 of us. The instructor, one girl, one women, and I. I was very happy to have that 3 to 1 ratio because I definitely need the attention. Out of the 3 of us the girl can't swim, the women and I know a little bit. We did some drills with the board and I was pretty good at that. We then do the superman thing that I did during my training. I still have problem breathing =(. So far I think I am the one that know the most. We then try the free float thing facing the water. For some reason my legs keep sinking. I need to constantly kick the water to stay afloat. The girls on the other hand, float like... hmm... a foam? Anyway, we then move on to the back float. Again, the girls are doing fine. Me? I keep sinking!!! The instructor told us what to do. But every time I try, my leg keep sinking. Then I will bend my back, sink, and take on water thru my nose. Note to self: Nose Clip!!!

After we finished with the floating (in my case sinking), we moved on to freestyle swimming. I was doing ok but I still couldn't breath that well. I then ask the instructor how I should breath. She gave me a few pointer and oh boy that make the biggest difference! I start swimming and breathing... something I haven't done since I was a kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The instructor knew I was doing ok so she focused more on the other girls. I continued to partrice until the end of the session.

For once I feel like I have a chance to finish the ironman!!!

Here is a clip I found about the Aquatic Center

No comments: